There are 6 main steps to approaching an appraisal situation, these are outlined below in bold, the extra text are some notes to help understand what to do and what not to do.
Starting the Appraisal
- Good News First Vs. Bad News First
- Handling the Bad News – Criticising
- Make sure to note what they did well, adding confidence, but including the criticism
- Set objectives and ways the person can improve, so that they have something good to take from it
- Make the person think about themselves and work out the problem. If they understand what is wrong with