Power Definition: The ability of a leader to influence its subordinates.
Influence Definition: The effect of leaders actions on what the subordinates will do, how they act and behaviour.
Both of these can help a leader lead his staff. Employees look up to leaders in a number of ways, seven of these are below:
- Position Power – The status of the person.
- Legitimate Power – Authority of position held.
- Reward Power – Power of rewards leaders can give subordinates.
- Coercive Power – Power to punish a subordinate.
- Personal Power – Characteristics or knowledge of the organisation.
- Expert Power – Power