Appraisal Definition: An appraisal is the act of assessing an employee or a member of a team. These are normally taken place within an interview and are a terms of analysing the performance of that employee. From the analysis employees are normally given advice on how to improve, which they can use to make aims and objectives to build upon until the next appraisal interview occurs.
Performance Management Definition: To keep an organisation working as effectively and as efficiently as possible, performance management is used. It is a process where expectation and objectives are set by both the employee and employer, and every certain amount of time, these are looked at and analysed to see where improvements could be made.
The annual appraisal in an organisation is a very important time of the year, it allows employees to talk to their bosses, learning and developing their skills and also it allows the bosses to find out how objectives have faired and whether everyone has performed to a high enough standard. Not only does it help with performance, but it is a way to interact and make employees feel more motivated, as it gives them an opportunity to talk to people higher up than them. Its a way of sharing understanding and building upon experiences.
Objectives of an Appraisal
The following defines why the need of appraisals is there and why we use them so often in today’s organisations.
- To help see what individuals skills and potential is, allowing a company to build a database which they can look into and see people who are right for the job, quickly, helping efficiency.
- Allows an organisation to see the performance of each person, and depending on that performance take appropriate action, such as rewards or punishments.
- To provide the individual employee with information regarding their performance. This feedback can then be used so that they can identify their strength and weaknesses.
- Finally it helps to make objectives, both for the organisation and the individual themselves.
To delve in deeper to this topic we recommend the following articles from MyHRMBook.com;
- How to Conduct an Appraisal Interview
- How to Plan an Approach to an Appraisal Interview
- How to Set SMART Goals to Improve Performance Management
We also suggest you read these articles from around the web;
Key Learning Points
To keep it in you head whilst you move onto reading other sections of the website, answer the following questions about this topic;
- What is the Definition of an Appraisal?
- What is the Definition of Performance Management?
- What are Four Important Reasons to Use Appraisal Interviews?
Image from Flickr